A proper balance of alcohol, acid and PH level is essential to make a fine wine that will not spoil. A lot of California grapes tend to be sweet enough to make a sufficient amount of alcohol but they tend to have low acid levels. If you do not use various commercial acid additives, blend into the wine a high acid variety. Always use some sort of bisulfate when you are making the wine and each time you are racking or bottling. Without bisulfate the wine will probably oxidize (turn brownish with a sherry taste) or turn acidic (vinegary). Another good practice is to use commercial yeast to ferment your wine. Commercial yeast that is made for the type of wine you desire will help the grapes produce that wine. In the process of using commercial yeast you will also destroy any bad yeast spores that are present.
Popular Burgundy Grape blends
Dry, dark colored, full-bodied red wine that is usually fermented on the skins until all the sugar is fermented this is the hallmark of Burgundy wines. Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Sirah are considered Burgundy type grapes. These are tried and true grape combinations to make Burgundy wines
- 66% Zinfandel – 16% Carignane – 16% Petit Sirah
- 66% Petit Sirah – 33% Pinot Noir
- 66% Sirah – 16% Old Vine Zinfandel – 16% Alicante
- 66% Old Vine Zinfandel – 33% Alicante
- 75% Cabernet Sauvignon – 25% Merlot
- 66% Alicante – 16% Barbera – 16% Old Vine Zinfandel
- 52% Old Vine Zinfandel – 21% Carignane – 9% Petit Sirah – 18% Grenache
- 66% Ruby Cabernet – 33% Alicante
- 55% Cabernet – 40% Old Vine Zinfandel – 5% Barbera
- 60% Cabernet Sauvignon – 40% Sangiovese “Tuscany Blend”
- 40% Cabernet Sauvignon – 30% Sangiovese – 30% Merlot “Super Tuscany Blend”
Popular Claret grape blends
Also known as Bordeaux is a red wine, not too dark in color with a medium body, good fruit flavor and bouquet. Depending on the color desired most fermentation occurs on the skins. They can have a slight hint of sweetness. Chianti and Zinfandel are considered claret type wines.
- 75% Merlot – 25% Cabernet Sauvignon
- 66% Sangiovese – 16% Alicante – 16% Zinfandel
- 40% Sangiovese – 40% Primitivo (Zinfandel) – 20% Carignane
- 50% Sangiovese – 50% Zinfandel
- 33% Grenache – 33% Sangiovese – 33% Alicante
- 16% Grenache – 34% Carignane – 34% Zinfandel – 16% Alicante
- 50% Alicante – 50% Grenache
Whatever wine your making we hope you found this guide useful, if there was a wine varity we didnt cover for you please give us a call and we can help come up with a grape or juice bucket mix thats perfect for you! You can get all the ingredients for your wine at Perfect Brew Supply!